Spain

Search my Blog!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tried finding the skatepark here

I went on a walk looking for the skatepark that is supposed to be near the river. One of my roommates marked on the map where he thought it was. It was a lengthy walk but I decided I had nothing better to do and went exploring. 

I started walking and made it to the "Murallas" These "walls" have been here for centuries. First constructed in the first Century B.C. by the Roman Empire, many of the walls were destroyed but rebuilt. The walls that are shown in my pictures date back to the time when southern Spain was occupied by the Moors. They were stated in the 11th century and completed by the 13th. At the time there was a 6 km long wall equipped with 166 towers and nine gates that circled the whole city. For its time Sevilla was considered one of the best fortified cities in the region.

Remaining part of the wall dating back to the 11th Century




Old School meets New School. Sevici Station near one of the oldest parts of the city


Shot with a few of the towers




Cool Shot of the top of the wall

After walking a little further I came across the Parliament of Andalucia. It was a nice big government building. I am not sure what all goes on there, but it was a really nice building with a nice courtyard area. 


Front of building


Courtyard area outside the gate of the building


Parliament of Andalucia


Another shot of the building

I continued walking towards this bridge called "Puente de Alamillo" My roommate told me that the skatepark was on the other side of the bridge. I walked and walked and walked. Finally made it past the bridge, but couldn't find the park. 


Guadalquivir River with Puente de Alamillo in the background


Pretty sweet bridge. The center of it is a bike lane with traffic lanes on both sides

My feet were getting tired after walking about 20 minutes past the bridge thinking I might find the park. I ended up coming across a school and watching a couple soccer games being played. These kids were young, but they had skills! It was interesting to watch how they played and were coached. The coaches were ruthless.. If there player made a mistake he was screaming as loud as he could making sure everyone knew. 


Turf field split into two smaller fields.

After that long journey I took a bus back to the center of town and walked home. I watched a few of the soccer games with my roommates and then hung out with a few other language assistants. Today I am going to the Romeria de Valme with a coworker. Should be a lot of fun .


No comments:

Post a Comment