Spain

Search my Blog!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Finally getting around to becoming "legal" in Spain

Sunday I went with another language assistant to apply for our NIE cards. Basically this is a number you get that allows you to open a bank account, pay a home, pay utilities.. etc. It translates out to a National Identity Number for Foreginers. We got to the Plaza de España around 8:45 in the morning. Luckily it wasn't too busy. We waited probably 45 minutes outside in line to get a ticket number to go meet with someone and apply. Once we got that it probably took another hour in the waiting room until my number was called. This was pretty quick compared to other people I know that waited like 3 - 5 hours.


I gave them my acceptance letters to the program, a couple of forms that I filled out and copies of my passport's front page, visa, and stamp from when I entered Spain. It only took about 5 minutes to get my number.

They lady gave me a sheet with a list of things I had to do because the process was only half over. Now I had to apply for my TIE which is temporary residence car for foreigners. I had to first go to a bank and pay 10.20 euro to get this piece of paper stamped. I don't know why, but I guess it equates to a notarized document here. I went home and had to send an email to the police station to request an appointment. I got an email back and I go in on November 15th.

Once I'm there I will give them the paper with the stamp, passport photos, the paperwork for my grant and another application form. Then I will get fingerprinted and my card will be mailed out soon after!

While paying the fee I decided to go ahead and open up a bank account. It was completely free and super easy to get set up. It was kind of refreshing. The banks here actually WANT you to know how much money is in your account, and they make it super easy. Along with internet banking that I got set up they give you a book to balance your account, but it does it for you! All you have to do is go to any ATM of the banks and put this little notebook in. It prints every single purchase you made, shows deposits, withdraws and has your balance too. I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

What the deposit book looks like (not mine)

They also gave us a free Moleskine sketchbook. I was pretty happy because these are my favorite and they are pretty expensive when it comes to buying a notebook. I bought one exactly like it but black before I came and it was around $20 dollars. If you haven't had one before you should check them out. They have one for everything you would need and they are sweet looking and great quality.

Woohoo
I'm glad I got that all taken care of. Now I can get paid on time at the end of the month :) I'm trying to spend the least amount of money possible so I can save up for a few trips I have planned while I'm here. It will also be nice to not have to carry cash every where I go; I can finally use a card without being charged stupid international fees.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you got your bank set up and your ID that will be nice when you can have your check deposited in it. Got your phone mailed off with out any trouble so we'll see how long it takes to get it back. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete