Spain

Search my Blog!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Spain says "ADIOS" to smoking in bars/restaurants

I read in the paper today that Spain is passing a law that would ban smoking in bars and restaurants. This is the final country in Western Europe that still allows people to smoke almost where ever they like. When I studied abroad in Granada 4 years ago I remember my teachers talking about how they used to be able to light up in class. It's pretty crazy to think how accepted smoking in public places and inside restaurants and bars is. It's pretty depressing when you have a group of 4 adults puffing away and there is a baby in a stroller or their toddlers sitting on their lap. Spain's National Committee for the Prevention of Smoking says up to 1,000 Spanish bar waiters die yearly from lung cancer, mainly from breathing in so much second hand smoke.




As expected, a majority of Spainards (the smokers) are outraged. Some argue the bill could affect tourism given that Spain was the last country where holidaymakers could go and feel free to smoke while they ate tapas and drank in a bar or ate in a restaurant. Spain's main restaurant and bar federation predicted the law will lead to 145,000 lost jobs and a 10 percent decline in revenue for the sector, but the Health Ministry said similar laws put in place in recent years in nations ranging from Britain to France and Italy did not hurt business too much.

The new law goes into affect on January 2nd. It will be interesting to see how it goes. It will be nice to come home from being downtown and not having your clothes smell like smoke for weeks.

The only other thing that I would like to see changed here would make it a law to pick up your dogs droppings. It's insane! I have never seen so much shit in my life. It's like they pick up everything else; wrappers, cans, bottles, but they leave the doo-doo for everyone to step in.


As far as my day went it was pretty eventful. I worked and then went to my teachers house again to help her son with English. It is actually really nice because I get paid and fed! She made a tuna salad and then a rice dish with pork. After we ate I helped her son read through a short english story that he was going to be having a quiz on the next day. I am amazed at how well he speaks English for only being 13. He read through the story and just asked me to clarify what some words meant.

After that I came home and went on a nice run around the town. It has been tough not having my mountain bike. The Sevici Service is great if you want to get somewhere fast, but isn't the best if you just want to ride a bike for a while. So running will have to do until I get back to the States. I contemplated buying a bike, but I have a bad feeling it would get stolen pretty quickly. I see bike frames missing everything attached to poles because people will steal the tires, seat, etc.

After the run I went and got a few drinks with some friends. I don't work until Monday so it will be a nice relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment