Spain

Search my Blog!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Windy Roads + Back Seats = Trouble

Today was quite an eventful one. I don't work again until Tuesday because we have Monday off for a holiday. They changed my schedule because the grant I receieved requires me to work 4 days a week, not 3. So now I work only 3 hours a day for four days. Work went by really quick as usual.
Entrance to the school

Orchard of the Princess is the translated name of my school

Today was nice because we mainly watched "TV" for half the time I was with each group. The downfall to that was watching the SAME 15 minute children's program 5 times in a row. I have learned quite the repertoire of children songs and dances now a days. haha

Getting ready to take the kids to the English room

Taking the kids from their classroom to the English room.

All the kids sitting down like this and paying attention lasts about 5 minutes!

With the young kids most of my time is spent showing them flash-cards and repeating the english word so they can hear it and get practice saying it.

TV time! this is an easy way to get kids to pay attention. ha

Jose Ignacio and the kids seem very interested in the show

Trying to watch the same show for the 4th time... ha

Easy way for them to remember animals and foods.

After work I had planned on going back to the house of one of my teachers and helping her 15 year old son with English. He is learning it in the school and she wants me to meet up with him once a week for an hour and just talk in English. I got a ride back to her house in her car with another teacher. I sat in the back seat. For those who don't know me that well, back-seats and windy roads don't mix for me... ever. Especially when I am going to a place I have never been and they keep pointing things out for me to look at. Not to mention the road was incredibly windy and a LOT of round-a-bouts along the way.

Anyways we get to her house and she cooked me a really good meal; spanish tortilla, chicken caesar salad, pork. The only thing was I felt like I was going to get sick the entire time I was there because of the car ride. I get motion sickness bad sometimes and when I do I feel horrible until I sleep or I end up puking. So after eating her son came home and we talked for about an hour. The whole time I felt like was going to hurl; I was sweating profusely and was really dizzy but I made it through the hour. I showed him a lot of photos of where I lived and what I liked to do. He spoke english very well for being so young. After the time was up the teacher asked me how much money I wanted. I felt bad enough because she cooked me this amazing meal, I told her to pay me what she thought was fair. I also mentioned she cooked and that could be apart of the payment. She told me she would pay me 10 euro for each time I came and spoke English with her son. I was happy with that because it went by quick and I was fed. The plan is to meet on Thursday's after class.

Once I left her son took me to the bus stop and waited until it came. At this point I still felt like I was going to hurl and I knew the 20 minute bus ride wasn't going to help. I dosed off for a bit and then all of a sudden it hit me. I felt like i was going to get sick right there on the bus. The doors just closed and the bus was stopped at a light. I hit the button to request a stop but the light turned green and I had to wait. When the bus finally stopped I got off really quickly and tried to find the nearest ally way or area where not to many people were. I made it maybe 10 feet from the intersection when I couldn't hold it anymore and found a nice spot (sarcasm) between two cars and let loose. It wasn't a pretty sight, but I felt better and started walking trying to figure out where I was and where I needed to go. Luckily I got off at the stop I needed to and only had to walk 10 minutes or so to my place.

I came back and laid down for a while. Afterwords my roommate Nacho told me of a better grocery store to go to that was a little bit further of a walk, but a lot nicer and cheaper. He was right. It actually looked like a grocery store you would see in the States. I bought some more stuff and came back to my place.

No plans for the weekend. If I feel up to it I might try and take a day trip somewhere. There are a lot of cool towns pretty close by that could definitely be done in one day. Tomorrow I will look into that a little bit more.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better, love the pictures of the school and the children:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember on the boat to go snorkling...you do get motion sickness badly...sorry about that. Next time you go to her house take some dramamine an hour before you go. It helps most people. That "graffiti" was spectacular by the way!

    ReplyDelete