Spain

Search my Blog!

Monday, October 11, 2010

A busy weekend... Well Saturday...

It took me a while to get this post up. I stayed out pretty late on Saturday and Sunday all I did was watch Football, AMERICAN FOOTBALL! I found a really sweet website that streams the games live. www.atdhe.net It's not HD, but it definitely is nice since no one here even remotely cares about the NFL.

I started off the day walking to the center of town and getting Starbucks. I thought it was ridiculous how many we had in the States, but it is definitely worse here. In the main center of town you can walk to 3 Starbucks in less than a minute. haha. I ordered my 'americano' and hung out in Plaza Nueva for a bit until my friend Andy showed up.


I don't mind drinking the 'shot' of espresso here, but everyonce in a while an americano is nice..

Waiting at Starbucks with the University in the background

Standing at 'La Puerta de Jerez' looking down "la Avenida de la Constitucion'


Shot of the fountain in la Puerta de Jerez

We planned on going to Sevilla's equivalent of Octoberfest. They have this theme park on the other side of the river called 'Isla Magica' It is like a mini Disney World or Six Flags. This is where the Octoberfest was supposed to be. We took a bus all the way out there and found out it cost 18 euro to get in and all there was inside was like a beer garden with different beers from around the world. On top of the 18 euro you had to pay for the beer! so we decided to scratch that plan and go to a plaza somewhere and hang out and get a few beers.


Crossing over the Guadalquivir River. It is navigable all the way to the Atlantic Ocean.

We got a few tapas and a drink at a cafe near the center of town and decided we should do what Spanish people do best; Get beer/alcohol and go find a nice park bench or place to sit near the river and drink with friends.


Heading back through town on our way to buy some drinks.

We ended walking back near the river and sitting down for a while to drink our beers. It is legal to have open containers here. This blows my mind and is something you would never think about doing in the USA, especially in such a public space. Matt, Andy and I ended up hanging out by the river for a while until it got dark. Then we went to a bar and had a few drinks.

Me with my 'Cruzcampo' - the local brewing company - in front of the "Torre del Oro" (Golden Tower) It was originally used to control access to the River which was the main way to enter Sevilla because it leads to the Atlantic Ocean. It also served as a prison in the Middle Ages and a place to protect precious metals

At this point it started to pour down rain, so we found cover and finished our drinks with a group of Spaniards about our age. It was nice to finally practice speaking spanish with strangers. The guys were really into rap music and kept wanting to here the music on my iPhone. It was pretty funny listening to the the artists and rappers they liked.

Sharing drinks with some locals
We ended up going to a bar/club called "Elefunk" In Spain no one goes to the bars that play music until around 1:00 am. We were there around 12 am so noone was there. We got a few drinks and then headed out. I ended up going home because I was way too tired.

Inside the bar (Matt - Andy - Zack)

The bar had hanging fish bowls with gold fish inside, pretty cool looking.

That was the end of my saturday. Sunday was laundry day.... First time I got to do it since I have been here. Dryers do not exist here so on our roof there is a place to hang dry our clothes. I walked to Andy's to pick up my backpack I left from the night before. When I was walking back home it started to rain so I ran home to take down my clothes. As I was finishing up a nice rainbow formed off in the distance.


After finishing laundry I made some food and watched a bunch of NFL games online. I finally one my first fantasy Game! woohoo

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog again and seeing you in the pictures makes me happy, makes me feel like you are closer then you are. haha I am glad you put pictures up of your two friends, now I can put faces to the stories you have. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking the blog too. Great seeing town and your Mom's right, it's nice putting faces to the names. Keep it up, you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete