Spain

Search my Blog!

Friday, October 29, 2010

Celebrating Halloween at the School

Today was such a fun day. We celebrated Halloween in the school for all the kids. I imagine for many of the kids it was the first time they have ever celebrated the holiday. I got to school a little earlier than normal to get dressed in my costume. Jose made a witch costume out of garbage bags and a few other teachers dressed up as well.

We went around to every classroom and did the same thing for all the kids: We first knocked on the door and they always started shouting. Some of the younger kids were actually terrified by the blood on my face and my teeth. We knocked, entered the room and said "Trick or Treat!" The kids came up to Jose and I and gave us candy in our bags. After we explained to them that these were our costumes and why we dressed up. I found a really easier story about a pumpkin to read to the kids too. For the older kids we had a haunted house pop-up book that another worker brought. I explained them the different rooms in the house and some of the objects in it. 

Like I said before, some of the kids were absolutely terrified! A few were crying so hard and kept repeating they wanted their mommy. I felt bad, but after a while they calmed down and they realized who we were. Below are some pictures of the day. 

Jose and I in the first class of the day

Telling the kids that the blood is not real

The children giving us candy

The second I went up to this kid he started crying for mom :( ha

haha - doing my best to scare them :)

Jose explaining how he made his costume while one girl cries

Telling them the pumpkin story

Lucre and I

Jose showing a group of 5 year olds the Haunted House

Easy way to calm down the kids is let them try on the costume

Teacher coming to the door after we knocked

All the kids running to answer the door - all pretty excited

After the story with a group of students

Explaining how he made his costume

Showing another group of kids the Haunted House

Gorge and I - my head is bigger than his whole body! ha

Everyone was very interested in the book 

A little apprehensive at first, but then they lightened up

Jack-o-Lantern in one of the classes
Walking into a class as they eat their breakfast

Jose and I
It was a great day and it seemed like all the kids really enjoyed it, the teachers too! After classes Jose took me to the bank to get my checked cashed. Once I got back to Sevilla I went to my bank to deposit the money in my account. The guy who set up my account actually messed up and we had to cancel the first account and open a new one. He thought I was living in Europe for good and because of this he selected the wrong type of account. After 30 minutes or so we had it all figured out and I headed home.

The hiking trip for Saturday is postponed because it is supposed to rain here. I was taking a siesta not to long ago and was woken up by the wind. It was howling pretty loud. Looks like a storm might roll in tonight. Since I have been here it has only rained once. That day it rained super hard, but for small spurts of time and in between the rain it was clear and sunny. I imagine if it does get stormy it won't last for long.

The most clouds I have seen since I have been here
I don't have work on Monday so who knows what I will do this weekend. I might try and take a day trip to a town close by on Sunday if the weather isn't bad.

1 comment:

  1. Loved all the pictures of the kids and the looks on their faces when they saw you in your costume. See you in about 3 weeks:)

    ReplyDelete