Spain

Search my Blog!

Monday, November 8, 2010

El Caminito del Rey

I was looking for some fun hikes to do in southern Spain and I came across this. This is probably one of the most intense things I have seen in a while. El Caminito del Rey (The King's Little Pathway) is a walk way that runs along the narrow steep gorge in El Chorro in the province of Malaga. It was completed in 1905 and was originally built to make a pathway between two falls that were being used for a hydroelectric plant. It was built to  transport people and supplies between the two falls and also to inspect the area.

WOW
The walkway is only 3 feet across and is horribly deteriorated (see video below) It drops 350 feet to the ocean below. I first found out about this video from a wall post on a friends facebook page. You can't really imagine how nuts it is unless you watch the video - trust me it's worth it.

It says online that it is prohibited to hike the trail due to a few deaths that happened at the beginning of the millennium but I found a few private guides online that give tours and provide all the equipment. The man in the video is supposedly walking the path with no safety line, which is insane. If you do want to do the hike there is a wire railing along the whole path so incase you fall you are harnessed to it. I know it sounds crazy but this would be awesome to do however, I am almost 100% positive I could never muster up the courage to do it.



So if anyone is really up for an adventure and wants to convince me to do this then fly out to Spain! haha but I don't think I could ever get the guts to do it.

1 comment:

  1. Ok that was insane and for sure you would have a hard time because you probably would get motion sickness from it. Too bad that it wasn't kept up because it looks like it would of been a cool hike back in the day.

    ReplyDelete