Spain

Search my Blog!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Camino de Santiago - Day 6 - Frómista to León

Biking Day 6
  • Frómista ---> León
  • 113.4 km (70.5 miles)
  • 8 hours with breaks and lunch
  • Total Distance Traveled: 401.8 km (249.7 miles)
I got an extra early start this morning. I feel asleep by 10:00 pm last night and was up by 5:45 am. I ate breakfast at the albergue an after some thinking I decided to go 4 etapas (stages) of the camino today. I wanted to stay in León on night and this is where the dilemma was; 2 etapas today was to short but 4, to León, was too far. If I only went 3 etapas the following day to León would be too short. I ended up deciding to bike all the way to León, 113.4 km (70.5 miles) for a few reasons. First, the 4 etapas were all pretty flat and easy looking (as shown in my guide book). Next, I wanted/never have done a centennial (100 km) in a ride. Finally I heard that the 4 etapas were the least pretty and most people didn´t enjoy them. Eventhough it was tough I was glad I pushed through because it was not a pretty ride.

Sunrise leaving Frómista
 First off the camino hugged a 2 lane highway for most of the way. I ended up riding on the road because it was right next to the path and a lot smoother.

cruising along


so much more distance to cover
 The ride was very flat. No hills, no trees, ... nothing. If I wasn´t on the road I was on a dusty gravel road cutting through wheat fields. For nearly 60 km (37.2 miles) I was on this gravel road in the middle of these fields and the only thing to see was cars whizzing by on the freeway off in the distance.


For most of the time I had no idea what town I was passing through because they were really small and all I had on my mind was getting to León. I planned on stopping at the end of the second etapa, but before I knew it I was already halfway through the 3rd etapa. I stopped in a town called Sahagún to rest and have some lunch.


pit stop along the way
 
 Bar in a pueblo along the camino

many monuments in the path
 From the town I had lunch in to León was tough tough tough. The wind was blowing in my face the whole time and it was hot. It was also a slight incline for about 30 miles until just outside of León. I made it into the city and was exhausted, stopped and had a beer and some food and then went to the albergue to check in.

Almost there
 I decided that I am going to take a day off from biking tomorrow and stay in León for an extra day. The town is massive and really pretty and I want to explore it a bit. I will throw up a post tomorrow night from my tour of the city.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun enjoying the City. Rest up and enjoy a day to relax.

    ReplyDelete