Spain

Search my Blog!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Camino de Santiago - Day 5 - Burgos to Frómista

 Biking Day 5
  • Burgos ---> Frómista
  • 65.8 km (40.9 miles)
  • 4.5 hours (with stops and lunch)
  • Total Distance Traveled: 288.4 km (179.2 miles)
I "slept in" this morning until 7:30 because I knew I was going to be hanging out in Burgos until atleast 10 am when the bike shop opened. I failed at trying to fix my bike. YouTube has done me good in the past for learning how to do things I didn´t know how to, but fixing disc breaks was a major fail. In the process I managed to mess up my gears too. I stayed at the albergue until 8:00 am, then they rudely kicked everyone out. I had coffee near the bike shop and then headed over at 9 am. Luckily they opened then and the guy said he would have my bike ready in less than an hour. 

I left Burgos a little after 10 am and set out on my way. It was already really warm without a cloud in the sky, so I didn´t know if I would make it as far as I planned. The first 30 km (18.6 miles) were very easy and went by quickly. There were a few inclines, but compared to other days it was a breeze. I made it to a town called Hontanas and stopped for an early lunch. I ate with a group of cyclist from the north of Spain who were full of questions about Seattle and the States. 

outskirts of Burgos
Easy ride down the mountain
Coming into Hontanas

 
The second leg of the trip from Hontanas to Frómista was tough. It was soo hot and I had a massive incline that took all my energy. I made it too the top of the hill and rested for a bit before heading down the otherside of the mountain.

heading to the next pueblo
Convent of St. Antón
another pueblo along the way, with old castle atop the hill
Passing through Castrojeriz
The massive hill climb, looks easier than it was
Atop the mountain looking over the plains
Otherside of the intense hill climb, easy ride down

The last 20 km (12.4 miles) was pretty flat but it seemed to go on forever. The road was rough and rocky and I felt it was never going to end. I was glad I decided to fix my bike eventhough it meant I got a late start. They cleaned my forks, chain, derailer, and gears. They also tightened my breaks and fixed my gears up so they worked like new.

almost there

I made it to Frómista and checked in at an albergue. I cleaned up and a nice lady from New Zealand, who was a nurse, helped me bandage up my wound. I went to the church there which was very simple but pretty and then ate a big sandwich and packed up my stuff for the next day.
Church in Frómista

Inside the Church

Shoe rack inside the albergue

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures Zack. Looked pretty flat on this leg of the trip compared to what you have seen so far.

    ReplyDelete