Spain

Search my Blog!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Weekend Trip to Alicante/Valencia: Day 1 - Alicante, Spain

Palm trees lining streets in downtown Alicante near the beach
Friday morning I woke up early and flew from Seville to Alicante, Spain. Alicante is a city on the Costa Blanca with a population around 325,000. It is on the on the eastern coast of Spain facing the Mediterranean Sea. The flight was a short 55 minutes and I got into the center of town around 10:30. I went and found my hostal and took a siesta because I was so beat from the morning travels. My Hostel was located right in the center of town only a few blocks away from the Puerta del Mar.
View from Hostel
After waking up I decided to head up to the top of a large cliff that had a castle on top only a few minutes from the beach. The Castle is called Castillo de Santa Barbara and the views from the top of the city and sea were amazing. It took a while to get up there so I enjoyed my time and weather and hung out at the top on a viewing deck for a while overlooking the sea.
Alicante, Spain


Atop the Castillo de Santa Barbara

The way I walked up took awhile because I went around the whole cliff and walked up the road. While I was on top I noticed a foot bridge that cut right back down the mountain almost directily to my Hostel. I headed back that way to change and head to the beach for a bit while the weather was still warm. 

Footbridge into alicante's center
Castillo de Santa Barbara
I headed to the beach for a bit to sit in the sun and read. I was waiting for a few friends to get into town so we could meet up and figure out what our plans were for the next day trip to Valencia. The beach was nice but it was still to cold to get into the water. I read and drank a beer for about an hour and then met up with Arley and Reegis.




The two of them were staying in a town right outside of Alicante with Arley's old host mom from when she studied abroad a few years back. I didn't realize I was able to stay there too otherwise I wouldn't have booked the hostel. We ended up going out to the town and having some tapas with her old host mom and her friend. I caught the last train back into Alicante around midnight and went back to my hostel to pack and get some rest for the long next two days. Las Fallas in Valencia was tomorrow and we had our train ticket to leave Alicante at a quarter after nine. 


The next two days I spent in Valencia were amazing. I am putting together a few videos of all the festivities and the posts will probably be up in the next day or two. This was definitely one of the best weekends I have had in Spain and I would take a look at the videos because I have never seen so many fireworks/explosions in one day ever in my life. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures, it looks so pretty there, can't wait to see your videos!

    ReplyDelete