Spain

Search my Blog!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

New Bike


Last week I finally bought a bike to use for a trip I'm going to take across northern Spain after I finish my job. At the beginning of June I will be biking from the a town near the French border of Spain to a town in the northwest. It is the Camino de Santiago which is a historic pilgrimage to the town of Santiago de Compostela. I was going to do the Camino from Seville, but after talking to many people they recommended doing the official camino instead of the "Ruta de la Plata" from Seville. When the date is a little closer I will have more details on the trip. 

I bought the bike from my coworker Jose. I got a really good deal and for the amount I spent it is the best bike I could get. It is a Spanish company and I have already put almost 100 miles on it this past week or so. The other day I took a ride out to Italica on a trail that hugs the river. This is actually the beginning of the Camino from Seville. 

The trail is a greenway that is also used by farmers but also serves as the first leg of the Ruta de la Plata to Santiago in the north. This was the second time I took the trail but I decided to continue past Italica and head to the next town on the camino. 



 There are a variety of signals telling you were to continue on the camino; at rode intersections and crossing there are usually signs but for most of the way it is marked by yellow spray painted arrows. I imagine at times it could be difficult to decipher which way to go. I had a little trouble at one point just on this first leg of the trip, but luckily I made the right choice and continued on.

yellow arrow pointing the way

official sign 

more signals 
 Once I got past Italica I entered in between farmlands on a dirt road that seemed to go on forever. The weather was really nice so I decided to keep going until I got tired. I stopped in the middle of the fields for a bit and rested on a huge cement drain. There was no one in sight except for 2 tractors off in the distance plowing a near by field.


no hands


I went for another mile or so until I reached a point in the camino that I couldn't pass. The road dipped a bit and recent rains had flooded the entire path. I probably could have figured a way around but I was ready to head back.
Me and my lady


Now that I have my bike all I have left to do is plan out the trip. Should be a great way to end my time here in Spain. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice bike but the trails look a little sparse and out in the middle of no were! Be careful.

    ReplyDelete