Spain

Search my Blog!

Monday, February 7, 2011

First week of February

January has come and gone and it seems the bad weather left too. It has been clear and sunny mid 60's all week. I can't help but be thankful after seeing the week that most of the United States had with all the cold weather and snow. 
Giralda
As the new month start I also have started a few other activities to fill my time. I found a group to play soccer with. We play every wednesday night on outdoor court fields near the river. It is mostly Americans who are studying abroad but there are a few spaniards who play too. I was pretty sore after playing last week. It has been too long since I have had the chance to play, but I plan on making it a routine.

Sunny day near the cathedral
I also started taking some private classes for myself. I found a lady through a friend who give 90 minute conversation classes for 12 euro. I met with her and she gave me a few tests to see where my level was at. She affirmed what I had thought. My grammar level/knowledge of the language is very good, what I lack is a broad vocabulary and common conversational phrases that people use on a daily basis. We decided that when we meet we will find a topic and discuss it. For example I am reading a novel about the Spanish Civil War. Next week we will discuss the basics of the war and work on my conversation. I am really excited because normally when I speak with spaniards they usually don't correct my mistakes unless it is something big or obvious. The plan is to meet every Monday night.
Plaza near Cathedral


Friday the 4th was another coworker's birthday. I met them at the school at around 2 pm and we went to a bar close by and got a drink. Then we headed to get some lunch at a nice outdoor bar in Dos Hermanas. I saw a few of my students there with their parents eating. You can tell that the town is very close and it seems like most people know each other. Dos Hermanas is a lot smaller than Seville but it still has a decent population. 
Add caption

Carlos, me, Jose

Coworkers

After eating we headed to another bar for a few drinks. I went home around 7 pm and bought some groceries and packed to go on another hiking trip on Saturday (post to come) 


having a drink with the coworkers

No comments:

Post a Comment