Spain

Search my Blog!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Feria of Seville and Dos Hermanas

The past week was "Feria" in Seville and then the next week it took in Place in Dos Hermanas. Feria is a celebration after the solemity of Semana Santa. The biggest and most important of all of Andalucia's ferias takes place in the southwest corner of the city in Seville. There is a ceremonial lighting of the Feria grounds, which is a large gate that everyone enters in. The fair grounds are huge; It is comprised of an attraction area with rides and games and 'casetas'. The Casetas are usually private "tent/housest" that are set up to have family and friends enter to drink, eat and dance. Some of them were incredible; They had huge chandeliers, nice paintings on the walls, photos and many other decorations to make it look like an actual house. There were a few public 'casetas' but you had to know somone to get into a private one. Luckily I went with a group of friends who knew a few people with private casetas we could get into. 

The gate into Feria
If you were walking through town at anytime during the week chances are you would see a few dozen women dressed in elaborate flamenco dresses. The men at feria had it a little easier; most people were dressed up in nice suits or dress clothes. The whole week is just a big party. Everyone just drinks until early morning all dressed up. I was sick and on antibiotics so the drinking part didn't happen. It was pretty funny to probably be one of the few sober people there. 

looking into a large caseta

Old people getting down 

Santiago and I

band playin in the streets
The next week was feria in Dos Hermanas. After work on Wednesday I went with a group of my coworkers to eat and hang out in the caseta of a coworker.
At school before heading to feria

Eating and dancing
We spent the afternoon there hanging out and drinking. I still wasn't feeling the greatest so I headed out a little early to get ready for a trip I was taking to Cordoba. We had a great dinner and hung out for the afternoon.
At dinner
Something inappropriate was probably just said
All and all Feria was a great time. I wish I would have not been sick so I could have drank with everyone else but it was still a fun time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment